Saturday, May 31, 2014

When is Not-Enough Enough?

Lately I have had a few worries about whether or not what I am, what I do, what I have... all those things... whether it's enough. Maybe I'm not the only one who stresses about those things. It's tough to be part of this world where there are always outside forces telling us "more" is what we need to be/do/have. It's why I avoid Pinterest like the plague. I can never be/do/have all of that, and it cripples my self-esteem when I spend time there.


Anywayzzzzz. So, I'd been praying about this. How could what I am/do/have be enough? Ever? It seems like I lack so severely! Others with even less (in the way of means or health or whatever) seem to get by so well, and seem to do so with grace and faith. Why couldn't I just trust God and let Him care for me? That, too, was a worry. Why wasn't my faith enough?


Nevertheless, there are times when I look at myself and think, This is obviously going to fall short--way, way short. The great thing I'm shooting for can never, ever, ever be accomplished with the current resources. It's impossible.


Enter...the scriptures. They are so good! They are there for me! The life of our Savior illustrates all these great principles and how to handle even moments of mom-misgivings and fears and lack.


So I was reading along in the New Testament, John chapter six, where Christ feeds the multitude. There was a huge crowd. They were hungry. There was no food. Christ asked Philip what they were going to do, just to prove him.


Okay, I'll just copy and paste the words from the KJV.


¶When Jesus then lifted up his eyes, and saw a great company come unto him, he saith unto Philip, Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat?
 And this he said to prove him: for he himself knew what he would do.
 Philip answered him, Two hundred pennyworth of bread is not sufficient for them, that every one of them may take a little.
 One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, saith unto him,
 There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?
 10 And Jesus said, Make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand.
 11 And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.
 12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost.
 13 Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.


As I read this, a phrase from in verse eleven jumped out at me like it was neon-lit:


and when he had given thanks



It was after He took what little he had, and gave thanks, and shared with others, that there was enough. No, there was more than enough. There was excess beyond what they started with.


It hit me that if I give thanks for the things I have been blessed with, and share with others, that God can make my meager means enough. No, more than enough. That He can, when I show gratitude, turn a pittance into a fortune.


I've heard it said that faith and fear cannot coexist, and so I am going to have to dump my fear. Sacrifice it. Give it up. Dang it, I find I hold onto it hard. It's going to take faith I am short on and trust that He can make me and my efforts and my means enough to accomplish His great work in whatever it is He requires of me, whether it is in my home or my family or in my efforts to serve Him. That He will multiply my efforts, which are OBVIOUSLY not enough, and make them enough.

9 comments:

  1. I also love the comments in Elder Bedar's book, Power to become. He points out how the Lord uses small and simple things to accomplish his purposes. He notes how consistency in doing those small things grows into great accomplishments. I helps me to feel that all my efforts, small as they are, are enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds like a book I need to check out, Shelli. Thank you! Great point.

      Delete
  2. Love your post. I blog too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. I will have to look at your blog! I bet it's great.

      Delete
    2. Message me the address! Or post it here, please!

      Delete
  3. Love this! Isn't it funny how we can be our own worst enemy? I think you're amazing and inspiring! You've been so much more than enough to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can totally be our own worst enemy--and worries just drown us, I think. There would be so much freedom in being able to rise above them. Thank you so much. Love you!

      Delete
  4. Gratitude is so powerful! Thanks for sharing!

    I haven't looked up the accuracy of the claim of the comment I heard today, but it is rattling around in my thinker. Everything stems from two emotions: love & fear. If we can let go of fear & be filled with love (which I believe includes gratitude)... Well, it makes me want to sing Louis Armstrong's version of 'It's a Wonderful World.' Oh, yeah! (and wish I could manage his contagious smile!)
    So please keep sharing your talents. Keep lighting up this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alicia! You're always so positive and delightful. I just re-read that scripture yesterday: Perfect love casteth out all fear. So they do have a scriptural connection, er, disconnection. I think whoever said that is on to something for sure. Thanks for the insight!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts!