Saturday, February 8, 2014

How to Read the Scriptures: A Seven-Step Pattern

I was reading a book this morning by Clay Christensen, a professor at Harvard University. It covers a lot of different topics, but one thing he wrote really struck me. He said that we get trained in school how to read textbooks and novels, and they are mostly a "start to finish" read-through. However, he said, reading the scriptures is a very different skill set. When reading the scriptures, the most effective way to read is to look for answers to questions we may have.


Then there's a seven-step pattern: pray, read, write; pray, read, write; pray.


When we study the scriptures, the best way is to start with a question. For instance, what about original sin or infant baptism or what happens when a loved one dies.


Then it's like homework, but spiritual homework.


The first step is to PRAY. I find it effective to first pray and express to Heavenly Father my gratitude for the scriptures, for those who sacrificed so much to make them available to me in my language, and to God for his goodness in giving them to me to guide me. Also in the prayer, I talk to Him about my question, the things that concern me, the things I've reasoned out, and the thing that still puzzles me.


The second step is to find and READ scripture passages that apply to the question. (Use the index or topical guide, or ask a missionary or friend if you don't know where to look for the answer.) Read and ponder what is in the passage.


Then get a notebook and WRITE down what insights you've gained through reading the scripture, how your understanding has changed, and so on.


Next, PRAY again. Express gratitude for the understanding gained. Also ask if there's further insight and understanding God might have beyond what was gleaned in the first reading and writing.


Then, READ again, looking for further enlightenment.


WRITE down anything else you might have learned.


Finally, a PRAYER of thanks is in order, plus a COMMITMENT in the heart that we will live true to the truth gained from this study.


Maybe the commitment to live according to truth is the most vital. If the only reason we want to know is to satisfy curiosity, it's not as likely that God will answer these inquiries. However, if we truly intend to live and follow this truth, and we prove to Him that we will by DOING so, then our future study of the scriptures can result in great spiritual insights.


I am so glad I read about this pattern this morning. While I've spent a lifetime studying the scriptures and attending Sunday School classes, I still have questions, and lack understanding of the mysteries of God. I plan to make this pattern a part of my morning study routine. Doing this will slow me down in my study--exactly what I've been intending to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your thoughts!